Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Friday, November 16, 2012

At The Ready

     Seen left, is the Army Reserve marquee.  With Veteran's day this week, I thought it appropriate to use.

     My Blog title actually comes from thoughts on our recent Church "Walk" study.  The Greek word "hetoimos" is used often in the Bible reminding Christians to make ready, prepare for, arrange to receive the one coming, or standing by- ready to meet the opportunity (challenge) at hand.

     In being "prepared," we need to be ready to receive the one that's coming. (And that doesn't just mean Jesus' return.)  It might be someone in our family, a friend, a co-worker, or even a stranger we bump into during our busy day.  (In our "Walk" study book pg 88) 1 Peter 3:15 is quoted (also shown at right) and then the study book explains: "Our life's devotion (our personal witness) to following Jesus is preparing us for the one that's coming.  The witness we display and the work we engage in creates space for God.  It's in this space that God spiritually forms us and unleashes His influence on our surroundings."

     Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day, as forecasted.  I love Indian Summers.  The high was 72 and the low 50.  It was a bit breezy, but didn't feel cold.  This is the day's sunrise, beyond our big Sycamore tree, seen from my office window.  Joe and I were both out by mid-morning working on "making ready" for winter. 
 

     We put the tarp up on the north end of the corn crib.  Even with the doors closed, the wind really blows through there because of all the holes, cracks, and space between the boards. 





     Joe spread several loads of manure while I used foam spray to fill open cracks and holes in the barn and chicken coop.  It doubles in size and got a little out of control in a few spots.  So trimming it with a serrated knife was next on my list.


     Courtney was planning to come out and ride with me, but had little time, so I told her I'd get both the horses saddled and ready.  I rode Roni for an hour first and then got Amiga ready.







     We took our two trusty mounts over to Becks and rode around out there and along the tracks.  We worked on stops and goes, turns and circles, and riding side by side or having Amiga lead and then Roni lead. 

    Both horses did okay, but still need work.  At the end of our ride, we completely split up and went our separate ways home.  Below, Courtney is headed up the drive on Amiga.










     I finished up chores while Courtney gave Zorro some lovin'.  Notice his swinging apple and Jolly ball in the background.








     Zorro loves getting his ears scratched and playing with his toys.  Sometimes though, he forgets he's a horse and rubs his head on us... not staying out of our personal space.

     Courtney concluded her visit to the farm doing a two mile run out here.  She was using the wind to challenge and aid in her conditioning efforts.


     Dan has given a name to his new kitten... Charles or Charlie.  Now that he has moved out, we don't see much of him, except to drop in to get something.  I do get up-dates from him and Valencia on Facebook sometimes.  These next two photos she posted with captions right: "My widdle new baby Charles, aka little dude/ninja, sleeping with his monkey."

And below: "Baby Charles all grown lOl, I can see the future"


     Veteran's Day Sunday reached a high of 70 degrees, but the cold front and wind were true to prediction and it got down to 37 degrees before midnight. 


     There were lots of well wishes and thank yous to Veterans on Facebook.


       Teresa posted this photo and caption: "Thank you to two of the bravest young men I know and my personal heroes, my son Ryan Volk and my nephew Daniel Villhauer, who both recently spent a year in Afghanistan protecting our freedom!"

     Daniel in Afghanistan.  Why the big smile?  This time he is "At the ready" to catch a plane to come home after his one year deployment. 

     I took the photo below on Saturday, trying to capture Courtney on Amiga.  I was on Roni and having difficulties getting him to hold still.  So I missed Courtney, but got the flags.  I like how the wind was holding them out and the sun highlighting them. The yellow flag says "Welcome home warrior citizen."
It was given to Dan when he returned to the United States of America.

     I worked in the nursery, met Joe for second service, went grocery shopping, and refilled my water jugs at Courtney's on the way home.  I enjoyed the bacon and eggs Joe made for a mid afternoon lunch and then got his help loading Roni.  Because the wind was so fierce, I wanted to be ready in case Roni gave me any problems.

     We had a great lesson, and even though the wind made it noisy in the arena, Roni stayed calm and did well.  The rain hit at 4:30... right when I was loading Roni on the trailer to come home from my lesson.  I got pretty wet by the time I unloaded here at home, closed barn doors, got the cows to the corn crib and fed, and shut the chicken coop.  Coming into the house, I noticed that the temperature had dropped almost 20 degrees since I had left for my lesson.
  
     Later when I went to check on animals,
I noticed the stray cat was walking better.
I got him all cleaned up the day before, (pee and poo kept leaking out of him, and some blood from his anus) and because he could not move his tail, it was a real mess. But, there seemed to be less blood and his tail was still clean.  I knew he had nerve damage, and figured that was why he was incontinent, but also wondered if it would
improve.



     He was so very sweet and loving, and when I looked into his eyes, I just couldn't give up on him.  I had troubles getting a good photo because he comes right over to me.  As attached as I was getting to this poor fellow,  I did not want him nor did I want to spend money on him, other than feeding him.  As is, he would never survive in the wild, nor would he make a good house cat. 

     It had rained through the night and was an eye-watering windy and cold (29 degree) Monday morning doing chores.  I left the horses in the barn because of the muddy paddock which was actually frozen on the surface.  The cows were still hunkered down in the corn crib but I noticed Babe had scours (diarrhea).  Doing a little research, I am thinking it may be Winter Dysentery, which has high morbidity but low mortality, and spontaneous recovery within a few days.  I'll keep an eye on her and Stew and be ready to give aid if necessary.
 
     Twenty Water Lilies, a warm pool, and wonderful conversations made for an hour of exercise that went fast and was fun.  I came home, let my hair dry, and then set off with the injured stray kitty to take him to CISAR, the no kill shelter.  Here he is in his make-shift bed, meowing as I enterd the garage shed.

     After a 10 minute wait at CISAR, I was told they were full.  I thought I had prepared myself for this possibility but I was not ready for my reaction... my eyes welled up with tears.  The receptionist saw this and said since the cat was injured she would squeeze him in.  The twenty minutes of paper work included giving him a name.  We came up with "Soldier", since it was Veterans Holiday and the little cat was such a trooper.  Finally ready to leave him, I asked if she had a cage to put him in because I wanted my trap back.  About then the veterinarian came out and she asked him where to put the cat.  At this point I was turned away point blank.  Then the tears really started to flow.  A lady cleaning viewing cages in the waiting room came over, called her friend who is in charge of animal abuse, and relayed the information that most clinics were closed because of Veterans Day but that I could take "Soldier" to the U of I Veternary School, and by law, they couldn't turn the cat away because he was injured. 

     "Soldier" stretching as he climbed out of his box.  See his limp tail.

     So off I set on a long drive towards Campaign.  The directions I was given were a little off, but a call to Courtney got me directed to the Vet. School.  After another wait, extensive questioning about the cats health and history, they said they would take him, analyze his condition, and do what was best for him.  For some reason I was in tears again.  I was so thankful he was in good hands... and out of my hands.  My costs, many tears, 107 driving miles, and a total of 3 1/2 hours of my time.  I would do it again if another poor helpless critter finds it's way here to our barn.

       Driving home, a big fancy van marked, "Precious Pets Transport Service" passed me.  "Soldier" was not a pet, but I hoped my transport service did right by him.  I also thought of all the neglected, abused, and forgotten pets that are out there struggling to survive... and how unfortunate is their lot in life.  And then I thought about myself, and my lot in life, and how lucky I am to have been born in this country, to caring, loving parents, because there are too many people facing the same abuse, suffering, and neglect as some pets.

     Our Growth Group met at a Thai restaurant and I had a tasty, yet a bit spicy, chicken dinner.  It was good to unload about the day and unwind.

     I decided to take it easy Tuesday morning, staying in my PJ's until lunch time.  Our furnace stopped working and the house gradually got colder and colder.  I stayed in the office with the space heater, keeping warm.  Kaysha chose a spot in the sun on the kitchen floor.  Joe came home from work to look at the furnace.  He had a repair man out here by 1:00, who ended up replacing the thermostat and we were
                                                     once again with heat.                                                                                          
     I spent much of the morning cruising the internet.  I have not been very impressed with many of the reactions, from any political party, about the election results.  The "mud slinging" continues.  I really like these wise words of JFK.  We all need to get along and do our share to help out with the financial problems of this country.

     We should heed the advice of Titus 3:1+2.  The NLV translation says:  "Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good.  They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone".


     We decided the front pasture is "spent," almost completely eaten down, so I have started putting the horses out on the back pasture.  With the long cold night, I also decided to keep the cows off the alfalfa.




     They and the horses all seemed
 to get along well, out back together.









     After walking Kaysha, I spent the afternoon picking up sticks, trimming some bushes, and burning all the debris in our fire pit.  I also cleaned up all the mess left from "Soldier's" short stay.  I had to start chores about 4:00 because it gets dark so early.

     I took the following sunrise photos Wednesday morning as I made my rounds and watched my farm world wake up to a new day.

















     I keep the horses in the paddock to start the day so they don't over indulge on grass, but I do give them a little bit of hay.


     They get turned out on the back pasture when I get home from my exercise class.  The Water Lilies was a small, quiet group of nine.  The other half of the group were out of town, as part of a Bunco club activity.

     As I continue to adjust to the colder temperatures, I tend to stay inside until after lunch, do not ride as often, and sometimes dread going out for a walk even.  I still prefer a sunny, cold day (like Wednesday) over a warm, cloudy day.  My walk with the dog was nice.  It helps that it wasn't windy.  I also like to pause and watch life on the farm. 


     As the cows hunt for good grass, Brother is on the lookout for mice. 

     He may have spotted one.

     
     But once he notices me, he forgets about the hunting and comes over to see what I am up to.

     I have started keeping the bird feeder full so the chickens have been hanging out under it regularly.  I did get some more work done around the barn yard, including getting all the foam trimmed and ready for painting.  There continues to be plenty I'd like
to get done outside before winter hits.
I don't think I will be completely ready for snow and ice, whenever it arrives.  

     The dark and cold that arrive before dinner, result in long evenings inside.  We camped out in front of the TV and watched our two weekly shows Joe taped... Parenthood and then Survivor.
    
     Jack Frost visited over night again, and everything Thursday morning appeared to have freezer burn.  I had a very productive morning inside. I de-lighted my pre-lite holiday tree because
                                         half the lights were not working.  I had to use
wire cutters several times to get them all off.  Then I strung a new set of lights on it.  It would have cost $20.00 to replace the tree, took me just over an hour, and I saved space in the landfill.  Hope the Halloween pumpkins lights will be okay for my Thanksgiving decor.

     The dog, cat and I intermittently spent a few hours trying to catch a mouse. It had eaten the bait off of two traps without springing them, and gotten away from canine and feline two times each. But, third time was a charm... Abbey caught it, dropped it in front of Kaysha who grabbed it in her mouth and I then put the dog outside.  She dropped it and the little mouse ran away.  While moving stuff off the floor and out of the way in a effort to catch the mouse, I also ended up doing some more dusting.

     After lunch I got a primer coat of paint on the trimmed foam and bare spots on boards around the barn, coop and garage shed.  Then I treated myself with a ride on Roni. He continues to want to lope when I take him up to a gait, but I keep slowing him down.  Joe came home with a load of wood shavings, and then went to work out at his new fitness class "Butts N' Guts."  I went to bed early, feeling cold and like I was getting a cold.

     My niece and nephews with the Cake Boss (Buddy) in Cincinnati.  My sister-in-law took the kids to meet him and try his cakes. Eat More Cake is his motto.  I'd prefer cookies.

     The Water Lilies in our workout group never cease to crack me up.  We are usually in clusters of 4 to 6, chatting away about one thing or another.  We do 27 different exercises for two minutes each.  Today, during the one called "Shoot Through" (Where you jump out of the water and throw your arms up in the air like you are shooting a basketball), one group of ladies started seeing who could make the biggest splash with their boobs.  Glad I wasn't in that group/contest, I wouldn't have had a chance.  But talk about hilarious.

     I started lamb chops with vegetables, cooking in the crock pot.  Then I messed around on Facebook waiting for my hair to dry and the day to warm up a bit more.

     After an early lunch, I went out to ride Roni.  I had come up with an eight mile "route" using my computer.  Roni was a dirty mess but I soon had him looking pretty good and ready to ride. 

     Becks had a bunch of their machinery out, probably readying it for winter storage.  Roni and I proceeded north on Baker's lane, rode along several fields, took Highway 36 west to the next country road and went around a large "block," returning south near Marj's.  I took a waterway south to Brian's and returned home after just over two hours.  I am so fortunate to be able to hop on a horse and explore the "neighborhood." 




     I did chores, finished up dinner preparation, and ended the evening completing this Blog post.

     Well, there is one thing I never have troubles getting ready for... bed.  And I seem ready for it earlier and earlier these days.

      Because Veteran's Day was at the start of this week, I am including this patriotic bit.  Click on photo of Robin Williams for a fun video about the flag.  But then seriously remember what it stands for and be thankful for all those in the United States Military, Veteran and Active-Duty.  Pray that God watches over those who are watching over us.

Matthew 24:27 says...

"For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."  Jesus really could come back at literally any time.  Are you ready?  Click on photo to link to a riveting video.

No comments:

Post a Comment