Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Friday, May 4, 2012

In My Prayers

     At 4 am Saturday, a thunderstorm and frightened dog woke me up.  So I got started on finishing last week's blog.  I met Courtney at Marj's at 6 am and we fed the horses.  We had to search for cat food to appease two very hungry barn kitties.  Because of the rain and mud, we left the horses in.  Joe and I went back at 11:30 to turn them out.  This time when they left the barn, it was more of a gallop out than a slow trot. Courtney petting Carmelita.


Talking with Marj at the house and again on the phone, I was very saddened to hear that Richard is still in a coma and the prognosis is not good.  She and her boys are faced with a very tough decision to make concerning Richard's life.  The cold, gray, gloomy skies fed my depressing thoughts and I cried several times off and on all day.  I just feel so bad for the Gilmores.  I keep praying.

     Other than feeding and watering chores here and at Marj's, I did not leave the house all day.  In fact, I never got out of my loungers (sweats I sleep in).  I did accomplish a fair amount of school work, but also just stared out the window or at my computer monitor, surfing the net. I saw a mouse scale up the pole to the bird feeder, and tried to get a picture of it. If you look closely, you can see it's little tail curled out the top of the suet basket.  There was nothing noteworthy for a dull, cold and cloudy, depressing day.

     It was a busy Sunday with Nursery, Church, School, and a "quick" dash into Wal-Mart.  I was reminded why I never shop at Wal-mart on Sundays.  Getting home at 3:00 in the afternoon, in a rain that had no promise of letting up, all hopes of riding were washed up. Kaysha stayed near by on the office (Dan's bedroom) floor because of the occasional storm.  I love his bright pink tennies by his army boots.

     The constant rain left a continual river of water in the drive, which the ducks took advantage of.  I finished up all my plans and worksheets for the up coming rat dissection so felt good about that.  I also opened up a new e-mail account (hvillhau@gmail.com) since my school one will no longer be available after I retire.  The school server would not let me transfer addresses, so I worked at copying and pasting them, one by one, into my g-mail address book.  We put the horses in early because of the rain, and after dinner I went out and brushed each of them. 

     I went to Gilmores' and fed at 6am Monday morning.  This will be part of my regular routine now, except on Sunday mornings.  I gave all the horses hay, instead of turning them out, because it was too muddy.  I took a personal day rather than attend a teachers institute day and worked all morning on writing my semester exam and study guide.  Getting done with all of it just after lunch time, I headed back to Marj's to plant some flowers and deliver some chili.  I think it helps each of us to be able to help them out, because there is so little we can actually do for Richard, other than pray. 

      Late in the afternoon, Daniel headed off to Auora to see his girlfriend Val and attend her graduation from Medical Office Assistant school.  I met Courtney at Red Cross and we both donated blood... our way of helping others in medical need.  Then I went to Growth Group pot luck, replenishing my blood sugar, and eating too much.  We prayed for the Gilmores.

     There was a low lying fog as I drove the 2 1/2 miles north to Welgreen Farm Tuesday at 6 am.  I loved hearing the sound of the 17 horses nickering as I made the rounds to feed all of them.  Again they had to stay in, because of the persistent rain. I think the dogs and horses are aware of something amiss.  They definitely know Richard is not around.  His dog Chance was wandering about as if looking for Richard and wondering what he should be doing to help out.

     My teaching day didn't go too smoothly.  I was thankful it will all be over soon.  It rained all day, but the sun came out after I got home and I decided to turn our three horses out for a little while.




     They immediately started racing around.  I went back to the house to get my camera and they were still acting crazy.



     I was beginning to wonder if I should have kept them in.   I didn't want them to get hurt slipping in the mud, nor did I want them to tear up  the pasture.



     This series of photos was taken of the horses playing in the muddy waters of the water way.



     Roni was first to start rolling.  Then Amiga joined him.  And finally Zorro came over.




     Then Zorro took off, with Amiga in hot pursuit.  They don't act or look very lame to me.


     We went to Welgreen Farm to help with stalls, but the "horse ladies" already had the work completed.  So, back home I tried to get some grading done.  Today's Caring Bridge brought less hopeful news... Richard's brain damage is extensive.  I just can't imagine what the Gilmore family has been going through.  To be faced with making a decision regarding Richard's life is more than anyone should have to do.  My prayers took on a new focus and urgency.  (For the record- Just in case I am ever injured or sick beyond recovery, I do not want to be bed-ridden... Let me go to be with God in Heaven and don’t question or doubt your decision.)  Marj and her sons have been so courageous.

     Continuing the photo series, Amiga followed Zorro into the paddock, knocking the cattle scratcher down in the process.




      Roni jumped over the scratcher that was lying on the ground, and sent mud flying.



     The three of them continued to run around the paddock until they got it out of their system.  Then it was back to business as usual... eating.





     Courtney met Joe and I at Gilmores' Wednesday afternoon and we worked on cleaning stalls, buckets, and automatic waterers, etc.  We let the horses out into the indoor arena in pairs while tackling their stalls. They had been in all day, making their stalls extra messy and them glad for some turn out.  Dan came and joined us once he was home from Chicago land.  After feeding at Welgreen, we went home to feed our horses.  We picked up Val, who had come home with Daniel and was resting.  Then we all went out to eat in LeRoy at Jacks.  One afternoon the cows got out while Joe was working in the paddock. 

      Once home, we learned that Richard had passed away at 2:00 in the afternoon.  When I got the news, a peace washed over me.  I did not feel sad. I had cried, off and on all weekend, and occasionally during the past few days.  I was relieved that Richard could now rest in peace and the family could be at peace as well.

     Wednesday morning driving to work, and again while coming home, I had asked God to do what is best for Richard.  And that if He was ready to have Richard in Heaven, to please take him soon and without suffering.  It is so sad to see such a wonderful man leave our midst, but a comfort to know he is in a better place now. 

     Thursday morning the sun was actually shining, bringing a "calm after the storm" so to speak.  I had been up till midnight, unable to quiet my brain for sleep.  But I woke feeling an inward strength and peace.  There was a calm about the barn at Marj's and reassurance from the nickering horses that life is good. 

     I worked late preparing for the start of our week of rat dissection.  Then swung by Wal-Mart for milk and other staples (If you can call potato chips a staple).  Once home I set to fixing dinner.  Joe grilled steaks and we (Dan and Val included) ate a later than usual dinner.  After some evening chores, Joe and I settled in to watch Survivor.  This weeks "Blind Side" struck us as funny.  I guess it was good comic relief.




     Friday called for scattered showers, and as I looked across the horizon, I could see a splattering of rain clouds from one end of the earth to the other.






     I said a quick hi to Marj when over doing chores and was consoled by the news that Richards organ donation would go to help fifty people.  In life and in death, he was always a giving person.



     The start of the rat dissection at school went very well and I was proud of my students for doing such a nice job.  I took a much needed nap once home, but woke with a dull headache and a lack of focus to finish this blog.  I went out and helped Joe move fencing and then put the horses into this lush green paradise.  And as I sat down in the green pasture, I prayed.

    My sincerest sympathy pours out to the Gilmore Family and I hold them in my prayers as they grieve the loss of Richard.  May God keep them in His loving arms and give them the strength they need at this very sad time.


     May the Lord God Bless and keep all of us.  He is our refuge, our strength, and our hope.  He gives us the breath of life until the day he calls us home. May we live in love, peace and thanksgiving.


This is a beautiful prayer song,
The Prayer
Sung by the 7 year old Rhema Marvanne with male vocal Terry White. 


    

1 comment: