Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Friday, May 18, 2012

Life Goes On

      With every day the sun rises and sets, life continues to go on.  At times when we are stuck in a bad dream of








rotten circumstances, we forget that the planets are still rotating and the days are still passing.  Once the nightmare "is over", we wake to another day.  We get up and out of bed and start the day anew.
Holding on to fond memories, but hoping for today's possibilities,
we dream of prosperity, health, and happiness.

      

















     I worked at my desk/computer most of Saturday morning.  I got all my tests graded, (last essay question ever) and grades recorded.  I took a break to go pick up Joe in Towanda, home early from his golf trip because they got rained out up in Michigan.  With rain in the forecast here for the 




afternoon, I decided to plant flowers after lunch, instead of waiting until Mother's Day.  With lots of weeding along with planting I spent much of the day outside.  I picked up sticks, cleaned water bowls, and just puttered around.  We never did get any rain.  Joe and I watched Survivor in the evening because he had been gone Wednesday night.  Dan got home with Val after we had gone to bed.


     After Nursery, then Church, and a quick shopping trip, I made some lunch and chatted with Val for awhile.  Then I headed out to ride Roni.  I worked him in the round pen first, then rode him through lots of footwork and speed transitions.  Then we went around the pasture.  I never could get a smooth gait from him, and he kept going up to a canter.  We then headed
                                         down Brian's road.  It wasn't long and Roni
stopped and refused to go forward.  I tried circling him but he kept turning for home.  I tried backing him while he was facing home and he would turn his butt towards home.  I was beginning to realize that I was not in control of this 1000 pound animal beneath me and that caused me to be a bit concerned.  Out of fear or frustration, I decided to get mad at him.  I knew I didn't want to overcorrect because that might send him... but daw gone it, he needed to be reprimanded.  So I shook the reign and yelled, "Knock it off" in an angry voice, and he stopped acting up.  We went on down the road towards Brian's.  I soon turned
and headed back south toward home,
but went around the perimeter of our place and over to Becks.  Roni never refused to go forward.  He was still going up to a canter when I wanted to gait.  And each time we were headed in the direction for home he would start rushing.  I kept turning him down one path or another and would trot or canter him away from the direction of home.  When I finally did turn up the drive, he walked nicely.  I was still
                                                     concerned about not getting a good
gait from him, so I took off the running martingale and tried gaiting him in the round pen.  He went beautifully.  A nice smooth gait even in the turns and figure eights.  I soon stopped and got off to reward him and hoped he would know that this gait was what I wanted.

      Once done horsing around, I showered and then we headed out for a Mother's Day dinner.  We picked up Courtney and went to my favorite China "Imperial" Buffet.  This is the second time we have taken Val there. Ha ha ha.  I overate as usual. Dan picked up the tab for the five of us.  Thanks, son.  I also got a nice cardigan from Courtney.  Back home, we watched a 2 1/2 hour Robin Hood movie.  It was intense in many spots, so even though I went to bed an hour later than usual, I was not relaxed for sleep.  But fatigue from the day's activity won out and before long I was in a deep slumber.

     Monday came sooner than I was ready, but this was the start of my last full week of school, EVER!!!   So I was willing to get up and get on with it.  My students really liked the
                                                      National Geographic video on the
Human Body  that I started and showed for 20 minutes each of the next three days. It was a good review, and a nice break from our exam study sessions.  It also gave me time to work on grading Lab Reports. 


     Once home, I continued grading while sitting in a lawn chair, and also caught up on sleep with a nice nap in the sun. 



     Dan headed back to Chicago to take Val home after first helping Joe move the old snow fence that we were going to put around a weeping willow in the back pasture. 


     We did not have Growth Group because our leader (Dean) was preparing to undergo surgery for a Calypso implant as part of his treatment for his prostate cancer.

     We ended up watching the two hour end of Survivor and then the Survivor Reunion show that Joe had taped the previous night.


     Early Tuesday morning I finished up the last of my grading and printed grade reports to hand out.  After school I made a mad dash for home in order to be here for the farrier.  He was running late but that gave me plenty of time to change, eat lunch and even clean stalls before he arrived. 

     Once Joe was home, we set to putting up the snow fence which will also make a good wind block out in the middle of the back pasture, and maybe provide some shade.  Everybody, I mean all the beasties, had to go see what all the excitement was about.


     We worked at repairing several of the wood slats.  I got very frustrated with my wrist, which still does not move as it should, as I was trying to bend and twist fence wire. 

     Marty and Elliot stopped by to check in on the baby chicks and ask about feed and timing for taking over of their care. 


     4:00 am Wednesday I was awakened by strong and chilling winds.  I shut bedroom windows and climbed back into our warm bed. 






      It wasn't long before I decided to just get up.  I discovered some very cold chicks on the front porch because I had forgotten to turn on the heat lamp overnight.  They were in a big "buck buck" pile trying to keep warm.  I found this nest of duck eggs while doing morning chores.

     The school day went fast.  I did some tree pricing on the way home (Menards, Meijers and Lowes).  I fought sleep while working on this Blog and then Joe and I met Courtney over at Marj's and we did our weekly stall cleaning. 

     Once back we moved the temporary electro-braid and then the horses, putting them out front.  They love sinking their teeth into the lush abundant grass.

                Amiga and Zorro



       Roni
 





     Amiga likes to use the apple tree as a scratching post.





    
     A peaceful, easy feeling. 
          I love life out here.
     Thursday marked my last teaching (instruction) day ever.  One of my particularly challenging students in my 6th hour class (last class of the day for me) pointed this out and wanted to know if I was excited about ending it with them.  :-)   How can you not love these kids.
     I drove the horse trailer to school.
Here it is parked with the other teacher's cars.  I had some students help me load my two big plants from the green house.  I proceeded with the trailer to Meijer and then Lowes, buying three trees, peat moss and potting soil.

      Here are our new trees on the west side of our garage shed, waiting for planting.

 



     We finally got our hay cut.  Luke arrived while I was riding Roni out in the side pasture.  So I headed to Becks with Roni.  He did fairly well for me, but I am still unsure if he is confused about what speed I want or just reacting to a little seat pressure or something else I am inadvertently doing to cause him to want to canter.  Once headed for home though, he decided to take over the steering.  It was a real challenge to get him to walk calmly and in the direction I wanted him to go. 

     We did more round pen work when back, and Roni did very well with speed changes, stops and backs and turns in both directions.  I don't understand why he "falls apart" out on the "trail."  I still put him in "time out" because I don't want him to think coming home means getting to be with his friends and eating. 

     I got cleaned up and ready to go to a retirement dinner while Luke continued cutting hay.  We had given up on Mark and had the guy who was cutting Marj's hay lined up.  But he backed out at noon because Marj had more hay than he had time for.  So Joe got Luke.  Third time's a charm.

      Luke said our alfalfa is very thick and will take longer to dry, but that it is going to be very nice.  We hope to sell most of it right out of the field.  I want primarily grass hay.  The alfalfa is too rich for the cows and horses.  Luke's rig is a little larger than Mark's, so he and Joe were discussing the best way to exit our farm. 

     Then Joe and I headed to Bone Student Center for a wonderful dinner.  The retirement program was nice, although rather long. There were over 50 of us retiring.  Here I am posing with my principal, Dr. Nuckolls, who is also retiring.  First she had to present three of us who have worked under her.  We didn't get home until after 10pm.  I put the horses in the barn, shut the chicken coop and went to bed.

 

     It was a beautiful morning Friday.
I, unlike my students who would be taking exams, had not a care in the world.  Well, no cares for the time being.  I drank my tea and sat here on the front porch working on this Blog.  Abbey, as usual, swiped my seat when I got up to feed the horses. 

     The peonies have opened in bloom and are gorgeous.  I didn't go to school until 10:00 because my exam wasn't until after lunch.  After getting the exam scanned and graded I worked on cleaning up a fish tank and turtle tank.  I cleaned out the rest of the drawers, cupboards, and shelves my stuff was in or on.  I loaded up plants, a fish tank, and miscellaneous supplies I thought I might need.  Some stuff got trashed, but lots got left for my replacement.
                                                          I didn't get home until after 5:30.
I wanted to just crash in our new hammock.  It was a joint gift from/for each of us for Mother's/Father's day.  It had arrived wet and moldy, so Joe complained to the company and they gave us about 1/4 the cost of our money back.


       Anyone know now to rid fabric of mildew stain and smell?  This is what it looks like all over.
     After we got my car unpacked and ate dinner, Joe left to play cards.

       I went out to take a look around the farm.  I spotted these two bunnies "grazing" with Roni.  Can you see two in the left photo?

 
     I also had to check out the hole Joe had started digging for the new willow.  He ran into very hard ground and added water to the hole. 

    







     This is what is left of the first weeping willow we put in last fall.  We had it roped off, but the cows could still reach it.  I might try to move it to a safer location.

    
    

     Luke and his brother Levi dropped in to check on how well the hay was drying.  I was taking this picture of the cows.  You can see their two trucks in the back ground. 

     I chatted with the two hay guys for awhile.  Looks like we might be bailing hay tomorrow afternoon.

     Hercules strutting his stuff and trying to intimidate the dog.  I was glad to see my teaching week come to and end.  Only three days left next week.  Ahhh, life goes on and it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment