Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Friday, February 17, 2012

Blown In The Wind

     Our flag is like a wind sock telling us the direction of the wind and giving us an idea of its velocity.  It also waves as a reminder of our freedom and the cost of it, made by all those who have given of themselves to establish and to defend the freedoms all Americans enjoy.  Dan made it back to Bagram sometime late last Friday night or early Saturday morning.  He did not sound too happy about being back.  At least he only has two more months to go.

     It was 10 degrees, -6 with the windchill, when I got up Saturday morning.  I had to take a hammer to the outdoor horse water tub because the little tank heater could not keep up with the cold / freezing water.  As I broke through the ice, the water below splashed out on my legs and immediately froze to my wind pants.  With water frozen on my gloves, I did the minimum of morning chores and returned to the warmth of the house. 









     I finished up my sink fixing project I had started Friday.  It took longer than expected because the enamel paint had to be applied in thin layers... and I accidentally leaned against it, not once, but twice while it was still wet.  It looks much better, but I was disappointed that it "ran" as it was setting up and left a drip line in places.  I also touched up four chips on the stove and one in Dan's bath tub.

     I focused hard on school work, taking a break to pick Joe up at the airport mid morning.  By early afternoon, most of the stuff I needed to do for school had been accomplished.  So I went out to brush the horses and work with Roni.  It was windy but fun working him in the round pen.  He seems to understand and do most of what I ask of him. 

     I tied Roni in the paddock out of the wind to brush him and pick hooves, but it didn't take long for the curious cows to come see what we were up to. 


     I had to shoo them away a couple of times.  So when it was time for Amiga and Zorro, I just brushed them while they were eating hay by the barn.

     The horses make a pretty good wind gauge too.  If it is very strong, they will stand with their heads down wind, using their rear ends to block it.  So you can tell the direction it is blowing and you can also see how hard it is blowing by how much their tail is whipping.  In this video, you can see Roni's mane and tail blowing in the wind.


     The wind and cold temperatures also continued throughout the day Sunday.  At least the sun still filled the sky without a cloud to block it.
                                                      Judging from the direction the
horses were facing, it continued to blow out of the northwest.  After working in the nursery, then meeting Joe for second service and then accomplishing over an hour of work at school, I ate a late lunch and was ready to have another go at it with Roni. 

     I had so much fun, enjoying watching Roni work, I didn't even notice how cold it was.  Then I decided to throw a saddle on him and see how riding might go.  When I was first trying to mount from the ground, he was moving his feet, so I stopped, got him to hold still, and then swung up onto him.  My wrist was taxed, but I managed without too much problem.  And Roni held still during the whole process, so I gave him a good neck rub before collecting the reins to go.  I had him do a bunch of walking, and he was as calm as could be.  I did some speed transitions, pushing him up into a slow gait.  I was amazed at how well he did.  Zorro and Amiga had come up to the fence to watch and after awhile, Roni decided he was ready to quit.  He stopped by the gate and did not want to go.  We had a discussion, with him backing instead of going forward, but
within a minute I had him going again.
I only did 1 1/2  more circles and then quite because I wanted to end on a good note and reward him for finally going.  Once back at the house, my arms and legs felt very tired.  Gosh, I only rode for about 20 minutes. 

     Kaysha had been sick all weekend... must have been something she ate in the barn yard.  She had two accidents in the house, so we made her go out more than usual.  Here she stands facing north with the wind blowing her hair.  In this video, notice Brother rubbing up on her legs.  He really likes her. 


     Monday I woke with a sore wrist and a sore throat... too much wind and exercise over the weekend.  But it was nice out, 28 degrees and very little wind.  After feeding and turning the horses and poultry out, I opened doors to air out the barn.  Well, I had to go back outside to shut barn doors and the large door on the chicken coop because I discovered we were to get snow, blowing in out of the SSW, starting while I would be at school.  I should have known the beautiful red sunrise was a warning.

      It was cloudy all day, but no snow fell until almost 4pm.  I worked with Roni in the round pen as usual.  He was great, and so cute and sweet, I decided to hop on him without a saddle or bridle.  I couldn't resist.  There was no mounting block, so I had to get him to stand right beside the round pen fence that I climbed up on.  I moved slowly and carefully and got on.  He didn't move... just stood there, so he got another good neck rubbing.
                                    I had tied the end of the lead rope to his rope
halter to use as reins.  I asked him to walk and stop several times and then tried using leg cues to turn him, but needed to add "reins."  He was confused.  He did not get alarmed, but was walking in little circles and I couldn't get him to go straight.  He tried giving me some different answers.  I decided I was pushing my luck, and didn't want to get him flustered, so I slid off his warm back.  The wind had picked up and the snow started to accumulate.  Since it was close to chore time, I went ahead and took Roni to the barn, brushed, and fed him, along with the whole farm menagerie. 

     I decorated the holiday tree by putting hearts over the white light bulbs and replacing the snowman, candy canes and Christmas cards with the bear and heart beneath.

     Tuesday, Valentine's Day, I awoke to a beautiful and serene, light blanket of snow.  The flag (barely visible here) told me it was calm and the 30 degree air did not feel cold.  It was a pretty morning for chores.  The ducks came right out of the coop, but the chickens were slower to hit the snow.





   
Roni munched hay from the wooden bin, a safe distance from Amiga and Zorro.










     I stayed late at school to enjoy the Iron Pride Lunch our PTO provided and also gave a test 7th hour.  Once home, I made a bee line to the barn to work Roni.  He did great with the free lunging.  And then I had a nice ride.

   

     I had to get these photos of Joe, Amiga and Zorro.  Zorro kept bugging Joe while he was trying to take the photos of Roni and I.  Zorro and Amiga both run around the outside of the round pen, or stand and watch, or graze nearby while I am in working Roni.











     Back in the house, with lots of school work to accomplish, I was pleasantly surprised and distracted by a Valentine that had come in the mail from Val.  Abbey enjoyed watching me un-pack the box.  She had fun with the packing peanuts and I enjoyed the wonderfully scented candle and tasty chocolate in addition to the thoughtful card. 











     It was cloudy, and threatening to rain all day Wednesday, but held off until evening.  After school it was hard to get motivated to go outside.  I was too lazy to go for a walk, work with Roni or ride.  Since I had plenty of grading to keep me busy, I stayed inside. 

     All three horses were caked in mud when I brought them in at chore time... and with rain and more mud to come, I decided not to bother trying to brush them.
Zorro's dirty butt and Roni's dirty face.



     Joe and I watched the season opener of Survivor.  The first girl off, had to go because she broke her wrist/arm and had to have surgery.  It was painful to watch it happen.  The girl kept trying to continue, but the challenge was soon ended for medical to come get her.  I could totally relate.

     I tackled the job of brushing all three horses Thursday afternoon.  I tied them to the trailer so they could practice their good manners. I started with
Zorro (below) because I knew he would 
become impatient and forget his good manners. 









     After I finished Zorro, I stuck him in his stall, and started on Roni. 

     Then I hitched Amiga to the trailer so I could go lunge Roni without her interfering.   I brought him back to the trailer and got him tacked up, brushed Amiga, and then headed back to the round pen with Roni to ride him.




     I had some difficulties with him turning into the circle when we went counter clockwise.  Since Amiga and Zorro were not in the pasture, I headed out there to see what he would do.  He rushed almost the whole time.  Coming back towards the barn he would start gaiting.  I would turn and head away until he walked and then turn back for the barn.  Every time he started going too fast, back away from the barn I would take him.  We must have turned back at least a dozen times, and ended up all the way to 150 on several occasions.  But we eventually got back to the barn, walking the whole way there.  As soon as I un-tacked him, he had a nice roll in the mud.  I guess Roni is going to need a lot of brushing up, both literally and with training. 

     Since it was nice out, we had grilled chicken.  I am not sure what Missy (the "pole cat") was watching while Joe cooked.  My wrist was tired from all the brushing and my eyes hurt from all the dust that had blown in them while removing dirt from the horses.  The exercise had also worn me out, so I decided to save grading for morning and hit the hay early.

      This morning it felt like spring.  It was only 28 degrees, but there was no wind and the birds were singing.  All of the livestock seemed to welcome the day with a smile.  I decided to post this Blog now, so that when I get home from school this afternoon I can go straight out to the barn and start horsing around.

     To the left is a photo of "Squeezer."  He is a Ball Python that lives in our classroom.  We think it was funny how he likes to coil up with the plastic model of a copper head.


     Some things are haphazard, as if blown in the wind, but the affection from our animals is not. 
In An Extra Flake: "Our animal's affection towards us is very intentional although sometimes self-serving.  Horses don't initiate affection unless they sense we feel kindly toward them.  Naturally, we make the most of that, showering them with affection and treats so they'll feel confident in approaching us and making us feel loved."    

     Marj took this picture of Roni and I last June.

No comments:

Post a Comment