Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Sunday, January 24, 2010

If Ya Don't Like The Weather...

     You know what they say here in Illinois....If ya don't like the weather, wait until tomorrow.  I guess this reflects the constant fluctuations, sometimes quite large, in a short amount of time, that we get here in the mid west.  Ten days ago I thought I was in the tropics.....19 degrees with a light breeze....after -11 and 25 mph winds it felt really warm.  And then 2 days later it was above freezing, for several days in a row.  I spent too much time out in the barn Wed and Thursday....working, feeding the horses, grooming the horses, playing with the kittens, and cleaning up around the place. I had a ton of grading to get done, but was really enjoying the warm weather.  The down side of this thaw, is that now there is a bunch of slush and mud everywhere.
     The photo to the right is of a sheet of snow sliding off the corn crib roof with icicles hanging from it.  As the sheets of ice fell to the ground it would startle the horses.  I ended up throwing snow balls onto the roof to get all of these hanging daggers to fall.

      Sat it was hard to get motivated to do much of anything because of the dreary weather.  I'd rather have sunshine even if it means colder temps.  At least all our mud re-froze Friday night and it stayed under 30 degrees a good part of the day Sat. We got some freezing drizzle for a little bit.  Joe and I test drove a couple of SUVs because we really feel the need for four wheel drive and a more powerful vehicle.
Tuesday: We traded in the van and bought a Ford Expedition.  The 4-wheel drive will make it easier to get in and out of our lane when it is drifted and will be better able to pull the horse trailer. The Expedition is a 2003 with 99,890 miles on it, but is in excellent shape and has lots of “extras”.  We feel we got a very reasonable deal, including the trade in on our van.
Wednesday:  I was out at the barn for 1½  hours in 30 degree weather with a cold drizzle.  I was with the ferrier, cleaning stalls, and putting out hay.  I got really chilled, colder than during the 0 degree temps with -10 wind chill.  I think it is because of the dampness and I wasn't working as hard.  When I came in I could not get warmed back up.
Thursday:  We have had 3 days of dense fog, freezing fog, and absolutely no sun shine.  It was a constant 32 degrees all day with a non stop drizzle. Some of the rain was freezing and some was pooling on top of snow and ice. The photo to the right was taken at noon.  You can see how foggy it is. Our driveway was a mess and the paddock was down right awful.  Chuck and the horses have hardly ventured out, thus making the south stall messier than usual.  At least I could have fun enjoying myself with our two barn kittens.  They are so tame and so spoiled though.  Kaysha likes playing with them too.
Friday:   On my way to work, I think I might, quite possibly have glimpsed what I recall from past experiences to be some sun rays trying to peek through the clouds.  They weren’t quite successful, but it was a near citing....that or I was hallucinating.  On my way home from work, I was planning to start taking down the Christmas tree, but then I sat down at my computer while eating my late lunch.....continued to procrastinate while enjoying cookies with my tea, and, well, I kind of lost the motivation to do the de-decorating. :-(    I did get the Christmas tree down after dinner with Joe’s help.  Then I rewarded myself my watching "24" with him.  I still have all the other decorations to deal with, but I want to sort through and get rid of some more of it....but that is what is slowing me down....too big of a job for my unmotivated self to tackle. It is such a dreaded job.  There is no joy in it.  I would love to keep the Christmas lights up year round.
Saturday:  Yet another day of rain and no sun.  By afternoon the fog had gotten denser and I couldn't even see 50 yards out from the house. Here 
you can see how foggy it is….the horses were enjoying the warmer temperatures and running around. We did empty a truck load of wood shavings into the stalls which were in much need of new bedding. I had stripped them both down to dirt and then we put several inches of shavings in.  While working out there, I let the kittens out of the tack room for the first time.    They played hide and seek with the dog for an hour.  After we were all done with the stalls, "Sis" the girl kitten came bounding in, digs, squats, and poops....covers and bounces back out.  I knew the clean stalls would not last long. We managed to get the truck stuck in the snow and mud and with patience and persistence, we got it out.  There are some impressive ruts in the mud out there now.  We need to put more gravel down....The list of summer jobs continues to pile up.  We went to the Relay For Life Kickoff with good friends Bob and Marge.  The meal and program were good but the dancing disappointing. Joe managed to win a bin of Christmas “crap” in the silent auction.  Swell, more stuff to deal with.  Awhhhh but the $$$ goes to a good cause.  I could sell all this stuff on e-bay and donate that money too.
     Sunday:  With thunderstorms during the night and temperatures in the 40s, all of the snow, except where there were big drifts, was gone, and a big lake down the middle of our east fields has taken its place. 

     Above Amiga and Zorro can be seen enjoying the grass that was once covered by snow. 
    
     To the right you can see the creek draining water from our pastures.


                    The humidity was so high that everything in the barn was damp.  The floor was wet as were all other surfaces.  I was thinking I should get a plastic cover for the saddle rather than the towel I currently have.

     Monday:  We had a winter storm system come through around noon.  From grocery shopping after school, I drove home in white out conditions. When I got home, 5 of the chickens were roosting out in the barn.  It was blowing 25 mph with snow.  I decided they were never going to get back to the coop on their own, so I carried each of them back 2 at a time.  I saved the rooster for last, who was tough to catch, but once I had him he stayed calm and relaxed and didn’t put up a fight.

Tuesday:  I got 4 eggs, 3 were laid in different places in the barn hay.  An Americana's had laid one out in the coop.  This is the first in a long time that I have gotten an "Easter Egg".  They must have needed a break.   I really enjoyed watching the animals when I went out to the barn in the afternoon.  While the kittens and dog were playing tag in the main barn,  Flopsie (a chicken) went into the tack room and helped herself to the kitten's water....only thawed water around.  She would prefer to hang out in the barn than to go to the chicken coop for a drink.  At one point, both kittens, the chicken and dog were in the stall with the two horses and I.  I was trying to clean up manure....which piles up fast when I give the horses access to the barn during the day.  Because of continued high winds and blowing snow, I carried Flopsie back to the coop again today.
All others had found their way back there earlier in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment