Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hair Raising Horse Experience

     Late this afternoon, we had a new adventure that we hope never to have to repeat.  Due to the large amount of rain we had on top of nearly a foot of snow, and then freezing temperatures, there was a lot of standing water that is now frozen.  So our "lake" is now a "skating rink".  It is actually a large, shallow, frozen creek that runs in from the north end of our pasture clear across and out the south end.  It had snowed more on top of that... so the ice is hardly noticeable.  In fact, you could walk on top of the snow and not realize there was ice beneath.
     Well, earlier today, that is what the horses did.  I am guessing the noble steed Zorro (even though he is a gelding) led the way.  And his lady admirer-er (Amiga) gladly followed.  And off across the snow covered ice they went.  I only know this because I could see their tracks, one after the other.  The only problem, is that with the warm sun and maybe some breeze, there was no longer continuous coverage of snow across the ice. And quite possibly the ice is even more slippery. 
Around 2:00 I went out to see what the conditions were like, and was surprised at how slippery it was in some places.  The little barn kitty "Bro" and Kaysha followed me out. The dog hit the ice at a run and slid to a stop and then when she turned to get off of it, "Bro" tried to run to get out of the dog's way and his little feet were sliding all over the place.  I knew to take it slow and steady and keep both feet on the ground....shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. I decided it was not good for the horses to be on the far side of the frozen ice stream, and thought they might be trapped there. So, I went back to the barn to get a rope and halter.  Once back across the ice I had Zorro ready to be led across towards the barn.  Amiga wouldn't even let me put the halter on her.  She senses "danger" before I can even drum up trouble.  Well, Zorro would have nothing to do with ice skating.  He did not take more than one step onto the ice before deciding to back off of it. I walked him up and down the length of the field along the frozen water....in search of the perfect place to cross.  Each attempt failed with Zorro pulling back.  When you are standing on ice trying to pull a 900 lb horse...it is difficult to make any head way.  I finally gave up and went back to the barn.  I decided to wait until feeding time thinking they would be much more willing to follow me across.     
     At 4:30, Joe and I , with halters and rope, headed across the field and ice on our mission.  Zorro and Amiga came right up to us.  You could tell they were ready to get to the barn for their evening feeding.  But once again, they did not want to step more than one foot out onto the ice.  We tried spots that were more snow covered, others that were a shorter distance and one place that was shallow with grass sticking up out of the ice most of the way. We had tried to crack the ice in that area to give better footing.

I had a little bag of guinea pig alfalfa that must be super flavorful because the horses love it.  We used it to try to coax the horses across.  Zorro was willing to "take the bate" but would still back off the ice as soon as he had 3 feet on it. At this point Joe and I decided they could not be led across the frozen tundra. So we took their halters off.  With gear and alfalfa in hand we slowly turned to head back to the barn.  At this point you could tell Zorro really wanted to join us.  So I tried coaxing him with encouraging voice and alfalfa.  He slowly picked his way out on to the snow covered ice.  But then he hit a clear spot with no snow.  I watched him start to slip, try to recover, and then go down.  All four legs were in the air as his hip hit the ice.  This caused enough force to break up the ice some and then give him a little footing to get back up.


He quickly tipped toed the rest of the way across. I tried to catch him to see if he was hurt....but he had one thing in mind...grain in the barn.  I figured at the rate he was moving, he must not be in too bad of shape.

 Now for Amiga....how to get her across?  I was hoping she would want to follow Zorro, but after seeing what he had done, she was not going to go near the ice.  We tried several more attempts at many different approaches.  Joe brought out the sledge hammer and tried cracking a less slippery walk way.  He ended up falling on the ice at one point.  He got the rubber matting that my trainer Marj had given us and laid it across a slippery place.  I tried adding snow.  But nothing worked.  We led Amiga several steps out in the cracked ice walkway, but she would then chicken out.  The sun was below the horizon and darkness was encroaching fast.  At this point, we decided to try the horse tailor.  Joe headed back to the drive for that while I left Amiga on her own and kept cracking at the ice with the sledge hammer.  Zorro was long done with dinner and came back out into the pasture (at a safe distance) and was whinnying to Amiga.  Not sure what his message was, but she really wanted to join up with him.  Joe had difficulties pulling the trailer into the field because of residual snow drifts and cinder blocks frozen in place holding gates open or closed. But he made it.
He was even able to drive across the ice.  So glad we decided to trade in the van for a 4 wheel drive vehicle.  But what a time and place to test drive the Expedition while pulling the trailer. Our next hurdle was getting Amiga to get into the trailer.  She has never been a fan of loading, and it has been 7 weeks since we last asked her to do this.  It was now dark so Amiga was even more apprehensive about stepping into the trailer.  We tried several times but she was too afraid to step up into the trailer.  I also noticed that she was kind of slipping.  So Joe moved the trailer, and I lunged Amiga while he went back to the barn for the training halter, oats, and stick and string.  This gave Amiga a chance to think about what I wanted and me a chance to collect my thoughts.  I think it may have added to Joe's building frustration however.  Once he was back with the new gear, we tried again, and this time it worked.  I don't know what did it....the lunging, the oats, the tap of the stick behind her back legs, or my praying.  But Amiga got up into the trailer!  And the rest is history.
     Back at the barn, in the stall with Amiga, petting her while she calmly ate, I reflected on all of the things I am so thankful for:  Rolo's left over alfalfa....(may he rest in peace); a "new" 4 wheel drive vehicle; the new trailer hitch just installed today; a husband who has a sense of humor, is compassionate and understanding; a loyal and trusting horse; and especially for God who has blessed me with each of these.

     Then I went into Zorro's stall and looked him over very closely.  Nothing appeared unusual.  I felt for swelling in his feet and legs. I pushed on his hips and got no reaction.  I watched him walk around. To the best of my ability I could not find anything wrong and feel he is just fine.  He seemed to reassure me with his silly antics and short attention span by walking around bored with the whole inspection, nuzzling me several times, and looking me in the eye as if to say, "I didn't do it".  Was he feeling guilty for nibbling on my sleeve just then, or for getting himself and leading his trusting amiga into danger.  Or was he feeling embarrassed about his slip on the ice.  I guess I'll never know.  But this I do know....the more I interact with these characters, the more I love them and will do what ever I can to protect and care for them.

2 comments:

  1. What a touching story. You are so sweet an devoted. I probaly would have let them stay out until they decided on their own to come in. They look great in the picture before the snow. May I post it on my site?
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely.
    I have been trying to get a good picture of them together for a painted photo gift Joe gave me. But it is hard to capture them on film because they usually come right up to you to see what you are up to. I probably need to sit out there with my camera for a long while until they have gotten bored with me and move on to do something else.

    ReplyDelete