Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Monday, December 6, 2010

Let It Snow....Let It Snow...

     After scrambling to make it through the school week, I was ready to unwind Friday afternoon.  So, I rode Amiga to Marj's when I got home from school, but before the expected snow was to hit.  I didn't see Marj at the barn, but I did say hi to Richard.  My ride was great, although a little cold heading home....I hadn't realized the wind was at my back riding down there.  But it wasn't too bad.

     The one reign stop saved me on this ride.  A few hundred yards before the crossroad to Marge's drive, one of the dogs came charging across the corn field to greet us.  When Amiga first spooked all I saw was a white bag in the field and told her to cool it, it was just trash. But then she started to panic and that's when I saw the dog.  He was coming at us at a full gallop.   Amiga tried to bolt and I did the one reign stop.  As I let up pressure she spun and jumped and tried to run again so I did the one reign stop again and just held on.  I nearly came off of her.  By the time the dog stopped, and the horse stopped and I realized I was still on board, I breathed a sigh of relief and stretched my fingers that had cramped from holding so tight.  Amiga was trembling all over, breathing heavy, and acting like she wanted to jump out of her skin.  I guess I was kind of trembling too.  I talked to her and the dog calmly and eventually she relaxed....especially once she realized Hunter was just a goofy dog, not a predator out to get her.

     My arms were really tired and sore for a few days following.  On the way home, the dog was running along with us as Amiga gated calmly down the road.  I think she liked having him with us at this point.  He was being silly.

     The predicted snow started falling right on schedule Friday before I even finished my evening chores out in the barn.  I was glad I had gotten a good ride in because there would be no time and it was going to be too nasty to ride over the weekend. The spot lights outside our dinning room picture window lit up the scene of a winter wonder land.  We enjoyed watching it fall. It was also nice to sit in the living room watching TV and fire while gazing at the Christmas decorations.


















     Abbey likes napping by the tree.  She also likes to explore under it, dig around in the packages, and eat bows. 




     Saturday morning, I awoke to a 6 inch blanket of snow over everything.   Brother came out of the barn to greet me as usual, even though he was up to his belly in snow.

   
      Thankfully the beauty all around masked the extra work of doing morning chores.  Getting the wheelbarrow from the barn to the manure pile was more of a challenge.



     This was Sir Loin's first look at snow, but it didn't distract him from his usual breakfast of grain.  We wormed him on the 1st, when we also did the horses.  It seems to be helping his problem with lose stools.













    
    
     Brother helped me fill the hay feeder and enjoyed playing in the snow.


     Amiga and Sir Loin were soon off in search of food.  They dig in the snow looking for forage, and usually graze in close proximity.











     Mean while back at the barn Zorro looks out at the new fallen snow and the new kitty is not too sure she likes it. 












     The chickens and turkey came out of the coop without hesitation, but soon were in the barn where it was dry and warm.






   










      I had had a great start on school work so came back from chores planning to get a bunch more done.  It was hard not to get distracted however.  I could see Joe from my office window cutting down a dead pine tree with Kaysha's help.












     So, when I needed a break,
I headed back out to help Joe.  We trimmed some branches from this prairie willow.  And then placed them, along with the dead pine tree, across this one area to keep snowmobiles out.  I didn't want the riders running over our new little pine trees.  Removing some branches from the willow opened up the path along our fence line, so hopefully
they will go that direction.  Notice that our squirrel friend had stored one of Becks left   over cobs of corn in the tree. 







     We had Kaysha out with us while we worked.  She really enjoyed running around in the snow, hunting rabbits, and sniffing out other smells.



















     While we were out back by the tracks, our activity got Amiga stirred up, especially the dog running around, so I got some pictures of her.  What a magnificent, wonderful beauty of God's creation.

















     Andy came and plowed our drive sometime during the day.  He comes    2 or 3 times in 24 hours if it is blowing and drifting, but only charges us
$50.00.  It is a
great deal for the job he does. 

     Saturday I did manage to work on school work much of the day.  I knew there would be little time on Sunday because I added a riding party at Marj's to my agenda. 



     I hadn't decided to go to Marj's until the last minute, because I was waiting to see what the weather was doing.  It was pretty cold and a bit windy, but I thought "If I don't at least try to go, I might regret it".   So, our first obstacle was going to be getting the trailer out of the snow... no
                                                        problem.  Next was getting Amiga 
   to load.... again no problem. 



     I was concerned about getting the trailer down the snow drifted roads.  I took 150 into Downs and then cut over on North Road because they were better plowed.  I had discovered on the way home from Church that Brian's road (which I usually cut across to Marj's on) was very drifted. We made it, 
                                                    unloaded, and got ready to ride. There
were five other ladies, some fairly young, but all good equestrians.  We started out riding indoors, and then proceeded to the outdoor area to ride in the snow.  It was a lot of fun.  Amiga did well, worked hard, and was a joy to ride.   She still needs work on the "crow hopping" she does when she gets frustrated.  But all in all I was very pleased with her.













      What a busy day Sunday was.  I worked in the nursery/went to Church, went to school, and then went to the riding party.  I left the party early, got Amiga back home and did evening chores ahead of schedule, freshened up and then went to dinner with Britney's Bible study group and on to Church for the Christmas program.  Through out my busy day, I was constantly reminded of God and the peace and joy He brings amid the hustle and bustle of my activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment