Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

 Villhauer's Farm 11/2013

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Never A Dull Moment

     As I started my morning with a cup of hot tea (Well I did chores first) and glanced out my window at our pasture of alfalfa and hay growing, I was so thankful to have a dull day in store for me.  Joe had to get up before me to trot off to work for yet another early Sunday morning implementation.  For Mother's Day I told him I just wanted to "chill" here at my desk, although the skies are calm and sunny and the outdoors beckons me. Once I get this blog posted, I have to focus on grading.  With the craziness of this past week, I have gotten behind, and now have quite a stack of papers to grade. After that I have lesson plans and then there is my semester exam and study guide I need to work on. 

I wouldn't mind a day of laying around in the sun.  Chuck has it made....eat, sleep and, well, never mind.  His life seems quite dull, but whenever he gets bored, he finds something to do.  Play with Zorro's big ball, push the hay bin around,  follow the horses all over and bug them, bust up the wood fencing, chase the chickens or cats, etc.

     Monday a series of storms rolled through the area.  With the dark skies, high winds and threat of rain, Courtney did not come out to the farm nor did I venture outside. I had calls to make and some of last weeks weekend chores to do.  So it was laundry, clean cats pan, water house plants, etc. for me.  Then we were off to our small group Bible Study.

     Joe and I enjoyed our first night out with the golf league Tuesday afternoon. We both had a fairly successful round of golf... but got whipped by the wind.  We enjoyed the exercise and chatting with friends, Bob and Marge, out on the course. On the way home after a great dinner at Rosies, we picked up some live traps from Bob. We intend to catch that family of rats that went fleeing in all directions in the chicken coop. 

     Wednesday morning I eyed the traps Joe had set out in the chicken coop.  The bait was gone in both but the trap doors had not closed.  Rats!  Foiled again.   In this photo.....  rooster, turkey and some hens are eating breakfast while I notice bait gone from trap but door wide open. I think there had been a mechanical error.

     Our riding lesson was moved to Wednesday.  Amiga did a great job with gaiting.  I paid Marj for the saddle I had been borrowing for a short trial period.  It is perfect for me for the time being.  Having my own saddle with my own horse really gives me a feeling of freedom.  I am free to ride.... when-ever and where-ever Amiga is willing to take me.  I need to keep up with lessons though, to be sure it isn't Amiga taking me, but me directing her where to go.

     Thursday my sister Carol and her friend Mary Jo came from Indiana for a stop over visit.  They were headed to Peoria for a sheep trial.  I had not done much cleaning and was in the process of watering plants outside when they
                                                      arrived around 3:30.  They were soon
to get to work helping me trim ornamental grasses, wash lawn chairs, and trim the beak of Betty (our chicken).  In this photo Mary Jo is  
applying pressure to stop the bleeding where we caught a little bit of the quick in the top beak.  Once Courtney arrived we headed to the barn to work with the horses.  Courtney worked them both in the round pen, then I test drove Amiga.  After that Mary Jo and Carol both took a spin around the pasture on her. They both reassured me that Amiga does well under saddle and tries to please. 





Photos
  by
Carol
















Courtney got Zorro ready to go and hopped on him to join the fun.  Here  he is being flexed before going.



Mary Jo thought both our Paso Finos are very nice horses.  Since she is a
horse veteran with lots of experience
in her younger years, this praise carries much weight.

     Joe grilled the teriyaki chicken and after we ate we sat out by the fire and relaxed.  Here the barn kitties are waiting for some action or some food.

     Friday, twenty minutes after I got home from school, we had a little excitement out here. A swat team (3 police cars, a sheriffs car, a white transport van, and the Pantagraph) pulled into the drive.  One vehicle came all the way up to the house.  The police men got out with their weapons at
                                                      the ready (what ever you call that).
They were looking for some men that they had been chasing down interstate 74.  The police had been on I-74 coming in both directions, in pursuit of the "bad guys", When the "bad guys", who had been fleeing from a bank in Bloomington, saw their predicament, they swerved off the road and into the ditch and the men got out and ran on foot....through Becks fields towards our farm! The police think there were 5 to 7 of them.  So, the swat team guys proceeded to open all doors of all buildings, with their guns drawn. They told me to stay in the house with the doors locked. They didn't say I couldn't  peek out windows with my binoculars and camera, so I got some pictures. But, then I got to thinkin'... we rarely lock the house...and what if....yikes....I got the dog and we did our own little search of the interior.  Nothing...phew.

  A look in the garden shed.                            And now the storm cellar.








  
 A moment to reconnoiter.                   Then a search of the side hay field.










     Eventually the swat team brought in a dog to help with the search. Apparently they apprehended 4 of the men, I believe out in Becks field  somewhere,  and the fifth one right out in the front pasture by the willow tree. The swat team combed our side pasture that has all the tall grass. I was thinking of the mounted police and almost offered them Zorro and Amiga...LOL.... just kidding.  The swat team eventually left.  (Our Hay For Sale sign got knocked down in the process) They were done looking, but told us to keep our eyes on the look out.

     Then five police cars came back about 30 min later. We were cleaning out the garage for our party Saturday. They were back to search for the "stash".  Apparently the bad guys, who were coming from a bank, may have left some money behind. They didn't rob the bank but had cashed a bunch of stolen checks.  The police recovered some of the cash (I am guessing
form the guys they caught) but they
were told (I think by the bank) that there was a lot more missing. He said it would be a large bag or container of some sort. Yikes....does that mean the bad guy(s) might be back to get it later?  This time the police searched the tree line by the railroad tracks. They did not find any money but they did find a shoe (possibly the suspects). They think one guy is heading down the tracks towards LeRoy, on foot (one shoe off and one shoe on, deedle, deedle, dumpling...) The police said they are done looking around here, but told us to keep an eye out for any suspicious people walking around and for a "money bag". So....I was thinking one of our games at the party could be a treasure hunt....literally. LOL
     Here is the Pantagraph article...posted before the police came back out here.
nothing mentioned about possible money....hum.

     Saturday morning's paper had an article about last night.  There was a picture of a policeman walking a cuffed man to the transport truck right at the end of our driveway.  It said that 5 had been arrested and that police had not ruled out the possibility of a sixth suspect and were still searching the area.  I had gotten up early to finish cleaning and setting up for our party.  We had invited the NCHS International Club and their teachers out for a picinic.  21 students and 24 faculty including their families were expected. It was disapointing that the weather had stayed cold and windy. At least the rain had stopped and there was no more expected, but the 28 mph winds, gusting to 34 mph was going to make the afternoon less pleasant.  Courtney came over early to help me and Joe started grilling. It wasn't long before it was party time.  I was actually ready when they got here, which is unusual.  Almost all of our guests showed up, and in spite of the cold, we had an enjoyable afternoon. 



















After eating, many students played soccer in the back yard.  Some played table games in the garage while others just hung out and talked.  We did a short farm tour before they were rounded up and headed out.  After getting everything cleaned up and put away, and doing chores, I was too tired to get any school work done. One hour of TV with Joe and I was ready to hit the hay.

     What a busy, hectic, fast week it was.  Rarely was there a dull moment or a lull in the action. I keep thinking once school is out things will slow down...but I have a feeling that will not be the case. I love country living....even though it is not always so peaceful and quiet.  I don't know what farm John Denver was on when he sang "Life on the farm is kind of laid back."  Maybe he was just a visitor.

     Pantagraph up date on Friday's "man hunt":
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_d7276f4a-5afc-11df-b3a7-001cc4c03286.html
I was glad to read that the sixth guy was caught.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you could have called it a sheep trial because the sheep were "winning." Actually it was a sheepdog trial -- it's about the dogs (border collies).

    ReplyDelete